Saturday, January 11, 2020

PAYSON SENIOR CITIZENS WOODCARVERS EXHIBIT

The Payson Historical Society is currently hosting a display of the Payson Senior Citizens Woodcarvers.  The display will be shown at the Peteetneet Museum during January, February and March.  Don't miss this outstanding exhibit showing the talents of our senior citizens.  The Payson  Historical Society is honored to host the exhibit showing the work of the group over the past year.
Click on any photo to see  more details. of the carvings.  The Peteetneet Museum is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.











Friday, January 3, 2020

Chief Peteetneet

CHIEF PETEETNEET


Chief Peteetneet

Chief Peteetneet's Squaw

    Chief Peteetneet, (pronounced Paw-tee't-nee't), was a clan leader of a band of Timpanogos Indians that lived near Peteetneet Creek that runs through the current city of Payson.  The group was  a part of the Ute Indian tribe.  The original community  was named for him.
    His band was semi-nomadic Ute tribe, that lived in semi-permanent, grass-thatched, wattle-and-daub houses.  They  roamed throughout the Utah Lake area as well as today’s Sanpete and Sevier counties. Together with Chief Tabby-To-Kwanah, they led seasonal migrations through the canyon each spring and fall. Peteetneet’s daughter Pomona (Pamamaci = "Water-woman") married the mountain man, Miles Goodyear.  Peteetneet is the anglicized corruption of Pah-ti't-ni't, which in Timpanogos means "our water place".   Goodyear and his wife lived near present day Ogden.  Miles was a small wiry man and his eyes fell upon Pamona he was smitten with her.  She bore him two children.  A few years later, Goodyear went to California, where he later died.  Pamona married a bad-tempered Sanpitch from the Sampete area.  According to legend, he mistreated her and her two children.
    In February 1850, Peteetneet’s  village was attacked by the Mormon militia, as part of the Battle at Fort Utah. Although Peteetneet was not there at the time of the attack, he did confront the soldiers at Fort Utah after finding the bodies of several decapitated Indians.
    When the first Mormon pioneers arrived on Peteeneet Creek in late October, 1850, they found that Chief Peteetneet was at his camp near the mouth of Payson Canyon.  He noticed three ox-driven covered wagons approaching from the north in the late October sun.  The tribe observed interest as over the next few days as the settlers cut cottonwood trees and constructed a corral to contain their stock.
    Chief Peteetneet was friendly, along with his band of about 200 Timpanogos Indians, with the new arrivals in their land.  The Mormon pioneers settled on an uninhabited section of the creek about a mile southeast of Peteetneet's village. It is unlikely that the settlement on Peteetneet Creek would have survived the winter without the benevolence of Chief Peteetneet and his band.
    Chief Peteetneet also enjoyed the support of Mormon leaders in the Indian slave trade. Apostle George A. Smith gave him talking papers that certified "it is my desire that they should be treated as friends, and as they wish to Trade horses, Buckskins and Piede children, we hope them success and prosperity and good bargains."
    On January 15, 1851, the Indians approached George A. Smith and his company of 118 men (some with families) who were headed to the Sevier Valley.  Peteetneet and his band of six Indians approached the wagon train and wanted to smoke the pipe of peace.
    Four days later, on Sunday, Peteetneet and his men again rode into the Smith Camp wanting  to trade with them.  Smith informed him they would not trade with them on the Sabbath, and invited them to come back on the next day.  The following morning, the Saints presented the Indians with lead and powder.  The Indians hung around their camp for several hours associating with the settlers.
    Later in the season, Peteetneet and some of his men rode into Parawan where they knew President Smith had colonized.  They came to get their guns repaired.  They stayed for several days, and were joined by Chief Ammon and Chief Walker.  Peteetneet and his clan of about 40 wintered in the area.

    The whites in the area had given of their food, but they protested the pasturing of Peteetneet’s 100 horses on the fort’s communal wheat field.  Peteetneet said the land belonged to the Indains long before ti belonged to the Mormons and he would pasture his horses where he pleased and the lush winter wheat fields pleased him.
    The settlers repeatedly asked the Utes to control their stock to no avail.  The colonists lost their patience and impounded the horses in the public corral.  Peteetneet considered this to be thievery and he made preparations to attack.  He was forced to call it off due to lack of support.  Yellow Jacket went to the Mormons to plead for the return on the horses.  The settlers released the animals and Peteetneet agreed to never allow his animals in the Mormon fields again.
    In February of 1854, during the Walker War, Capt. Charles B. Hancock of Payson, captured two Indians.  One of the captured individuals was the son of Peteetneet.  He held the chief’s son as a hostage.  He sent the other Indian to the tribe with a message that the Chief’s son was being held until plans for peace could be arranged.
    The following morning, Chief Peteetneet visited the fort.  A consultation was held and a plan for peace was agreed upon.  The Chief offered fourteen head of stolen cattle as a peace token.  The Mormons agreed to build Peteetneet a home.  In due time, the setters kept their word.  Peteetneet had expressed a desire to learn to build houses, live among the Mormons, raise grain and be a brother to them.
    At a local celebration notjng  the July 24th anniversary of the saints arrival in the Salt Lake Valley, the people of Palmyra were preparing a big dinner at the meetinghouse.  A group of young Indians crowded up to the table, getting in the way of those placing the dishes of food on the table.  One of the local men suggested that the young Indians move back.  One of the Indians refused and the man gave him light push.  The Indians, who were armed with bows and arrows, strung their arrows and prepared for action.
    Chief Peteetneet was one of the speakers on the stand.  Just as the arrows were aimed at certain whites, Chief Peteetneet rose to his feet and ordered the young rebels to put down their bows and stand back or he would have them flogged.  The young men obeyed their chief knowing he meant what he said.  All those present realized the chief had prevented what might have been a massacre.
    Very little is known of the Indian woman that was the wife of Peteetneet. If the whites wrote anything down- it was about the males of the tribe. We know that Chief Peteetneet and Old Lady Peteetneet lived on the Indian Farm located north of Payson in a house built by the whites for them for at least 15 years.
    Chief Peteetneet died on December 23, 1861, under somewhat mysterious circumstances in Cedar Valley, Utah, near recently abandoned Fort Crittenden (Camp Floyd).  When Peteetneet died on December 22, 1861, it was said, he had been shot by his wife.   He was buried on the mountainside in Cedar Valley by members of his band. His wife, who was murdered on his express deathbed orders by an axe-wielding woman in his band, was buried in the valley below his grave in order to accompany him into the afterlife. 
    He was succeeded at the time of his death in 1862 by a near kinsman named Ponnewats, a corruption of Pa-ni-wa-tsi, meaning "Little Master of Our Water".   
     Brigham Young made this statement, "Chief Peteetneet, a chief who lives near Utah Lake, is perfect, and I do not believe a better man lives on the earth. He will do good all the time and will not do evil if he knows it." General Church minutes, 31 August, 1854.
    In 1901, the  Peteetneet School was constructed and named in honor of this Indian Chief who was a grea friend of the earlier settlers.  The portrait of Old Lady Peteetneet hangs beside her husbands  in a place of honor in the Peteetneet Museum.




Wednesday, August 7, 2019

THE PAYSON STORY IN WORDS AND PICTURES

THIRD SOUTH  MILLS



            In 1858, Bishop Charles B. Hancock constructed a grist mill located at 300 South and 200 East (today’s address).  This was the second grist mill that he was involved in constructing.  The first one was located at approximately the location of the Intermountain Farmers at the rear of the present day Getaway Furniture. The new mill was known as the Hancock Mill for many years.  It was built as a “make work” project for the benefit of the poor.
            The Hancock Mill was a two-story log mill operated by an over-shot wheel run by buckets eight feet long and eighteen inches deep.

FINLAYSON MILL


          In 1880, the grist mill was purchased by the Payson Cooperative Institution.  James Finlayson was the millwright.  After a year it was sold to Mr. Finlayson and became known as the Finlayson Mill.  It operated until 1901 when it was destroyed by fire.  The Payson Electric Light and Power Company had a dynamo, owned by Thomas E. Daniels Jr. and George W. Hancock.  During the daytime this power was used by the mill to grind grain and from six P. M. until midnight furnished power to many residents of the city.



TOLHURST MILL




            In 1909, Thomas F. Tolhurst came to Payson to investigate a location for a grist mill.  He had gained milling experience at the mill located in Leland near Spanish Fork.  He built a rollar mill on the site of the old Finlayson Mill.  The new mill was equipped with the most modern equipment that he could obtain.  The mill could produce seventy-five barrels of flour a day.
            Mr. Tolhurst died in 1931 and the mill was sold to Ammon Hermansen.  By 1935, there was new large capacity grain cleaning equipment installed in the mill.  The mill was closed in 1955 due to the illness of the miller, Richard Wilson.  After that Mr. Hermansen used the mill to store flour produced at the Nephi mill that he operated.
            The mill building and property was later purchased by Elmo Dockstader.  He had previously restored the old Francom home on the northeast corner of 100 North and 500 East.  This home had been vacant for many years.  He had also restored the old Payson Substation on North Main into a residence.  He had plans to restore the old mill for new uses.  He had converted a portion of the old mill into living quarters but later sold the property without finishing the restoration he had planned.  The building was later torn down.
            The old mill has become nothing but a memory to many Payson residents. It was torn down several years ago and a beautiful new home now occupies one of the important locations in the history of Payson

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

CENTRAL LUMBER AND HARDWARE

     One of the oldest buildings in Payson’s business district on what was then knows as Deport Street (today’s Utah Avenue) went under the wrecker’s ball almost forty years ago.  In the summer of 1977, the brick building with a rock foundation that had been constructed before 1900 to house Central Lumber & Hardware Co. became a rubble heap.  The business had been  established by brothers, Otto and Henry Erlandson.  It was managed by Otto.
    Buildings at the rear of the store were used for storage of  farm machinery and other heavy merchandise.  Across the driveway to the east of the main building stood a large open shed which Jesse Finalyson said he helped to build in 1910.
      When the Salt Lake and Utah Railroad (Orem Inter-urban) laid its tracks into Payson in 1916, the terminal and depot were located north of the lumber yard through the block.  The Erlandsons accepted the opportunity to have a spur of the railroad built into their place of business.  Another spur of the railroad extended west to the Utah Poultry located to the read of the former Wells Fargo Bank building.
     Carloads of lumber and other building materials were shipped directly to Central Lumber and Hardware Co.  Carloads of coal, the chief fuel of the times, were allowed to stand on the premises until sold, as ton after ton was loaded onto wagons or trucks after being weighed on scales located between the tracks and the east entrance of the building.
     The brothers were also contractors and builders.  They  were instrumental in building a number of public building in Payson and Spanish Fork.  They also built a number of private homes in Payson.  Among them were beautiful homes they constructed for their families.  Henry built his home further east of Depot Street on the southwest corner of today’s 300 East.  The plans for his home were completed by the famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright.
     In about 1923, the Erlandsons sold their lumber business to Smoot Lumber Co. of Provo.  Shortly after, they opened the Santaquin Lumber Company in Santaquin.  Otto’s son, Wendell, was the manager.
     George Chase came to Payson in 1923 when he purchased the Colvin and Reece Lumber Company on First North and Sixth West.  He operated this business until 1932 when he purchased Smoot Lumber Co., formerly known as Central Lumber & Hardware.  He gave the new business his name and it became known as Chase Lumber Company.
     Mr. Chase later sold controlling interest in the lumber company to A. E. Money and his brother Reed Money Sr.  The brother headed up a corporation made up of  family members and a few other individuals including Mr. Chase and Sid Corey.  Mr. Chase continued to retain an office in the building for several years after he sold out.
     The new owners chose to retain the Chase name and after a few years bought all of the stock owned outside of the family.  A. E. Money died in 1964, after which Reed Money Sr. bought all of the remaining stock from family members.  Gradually, he turned the stock to his sons and daughter.  The new corporation was formed with Reed Money Sr. was president and Reed Money Jr. was the manager of the business.
     The Money family demolished the Old Central Lumber Company building in 1977 along with the building on the corner east of the store where Moore Sheet Metal had been located.  They constructed a new building that housed Money Home Center and Self’s Food Mart.  The store faced the interior of the block.  This move helped to develop the mid-block parking behind the stores that faced Main Street.  Most of the stores then developed rear entrances to their stores.
    Reed Money Jr. operated the new store for a few years until his retirement.  He then sold the business and it became known as Southgate Hardware.  This ended an era of the Money family business which had been one of the important businesses in downtown Payson.   The owners of Southgate Hardware sold the business in 2015 to new owners and it is now known as Ace Hardware.



The Original Central Lumber located on East Utah Aveneu

New Central Lumber building located on East Utah Avenue

Central Lumber later became Chase Lumber

Tracks of the Orem Railroad extending from the station to the lumber yard

Sunday, December 16, 2018

B.F. Ott Drug

B. F. OTT  DRUG

             B. F. Ott was the first manager of the Huish Drug that was located at #2 North Main in the Lewis Building which was located on the northeast corner of today’s Main Street and Utah Avenue.  He was the manager there from 1903 until 1908.   In 1908 the owner’s son, Dave Huish, completed pharmacy school and returned to Payson to manage the store for his father.
            Mr. Ott then relocated to Salt Lake City for several years and operated a drug store in that city.  He then went east to marry his sweetheart.  He made the decision to return to Payson with his new bride.  He established B. F. Ott Drug about 1911at #6 North Main just north of the Huish Drug.  The building had been constructed in 1898.
            He remained in business at that location until 1944.  He then leased the drug store to Ralph Daniels of Malad, Idaho.  He had worked for the Ott Drug when he was a young man.   Mr. Daniels’ father, Rolla Daniels, was a Payson native.  Rolla’s father. Orson P.  Daniels had been a prominent photographer in the Payson area in the late 1800s
            Mr. Daniels operated Daniels’ Drug in the Ott building until 1954 when he moved into the Lewis Building next door.  The building had become vacant when City Drug moved into their new store across the street where the Douglass Building had been located.
    In 1961, LeRoy Jewett opened a shoe store in the Ott Building and operated in that location for several years.
    In 1966, Dawna Stewart opened a new business called The Cloth Shoppe.  She operated her business there until 1986.  She and her husband purchased the building from the Ott Family a short time after she opened her business.
            There was a craft store located in the building for several years after Mrs. Stewart vacated the building.  It then remained vacant for several years until Mrs. Stewart leased the building to Russ Brown.  He established Memory Lane Photography in the building and later purchased the building from the Stewarts.  That business is still flourishing in that location.
            #6 North Main has seen many changes in the last 112 years.  Many businesses and business neighbors have come and gone, the street has changed from horse and buggy traffic to automobiles but the building still stands proud in its prominent location of Payson Main Street.
















B. F. OTT  DRUG
Parade Passing by Ott Drug

B. F. Ott Drug

Daniels Drug in Ott Building

City Drug next to Daniels Drug

Clothe Shoppe in Ott building. 

Memory Land Photography today is located in the Ott Building