Monday, June 29, 2015

Road Construction on Payson Main Street 1917--Photo of the Day

    In the rare old photograph above, shows work on Payson’s Main Street from First North to Second South in 1917 when the city took the momentous step in paving three blocks of the business district in the downtown area.  The horses and manpower are very much in evidence.
    In Payson in 1917, the road contractor absorbed what local labor he could and brought to the scene a couple or so plodding horses and dump carts. A steam-powered paving mixer was used. And wheelbarrows, which were loaded by hand, played a big part in the conveying of gravel and cement for mixing and afterwards hauled the mixture for laying. The finishing work was done with hand tampers, shaped to conform to the desired crown of the pavement and made of heavy timber, with plow handles on each end.  These were manned by husky individuals, who did the finishing work to bring smoothness Quite a contrast from the massive steel road-paving equipment of today.
    Road traffic in 1917 in Payson was light and still is compared with that of big city areas. But there are times when motor vehicles operate at minimum speed up and down the business section of Payson now, moving along bumper to bumper in both directions.
    In 1917,  the automobiles played a part in the lives of so few Payson people that the cementing of Main Street for three blocks seemed almost like an unnecessary expense for the business men on those blocks. They paid for all of the paving for 18 feet out from the curb the full length of their property, the state paying for the few feet left in between. Later those few business men whose property was corner property or that on Utah Avenue leading from Main Street to First West were billed for all of the paving fronting! their ground. In contrast, the rest of Utah Avenue was paved much later as a county road with no expense whatever to property owners.
    Little could those men who paid for Payson's first cement roads see ahead to visualize how motorized travel would increase. Little did they realize what great improvements in paving practice would come.
    What the 1917 business men of Payson brought to the town permitted faster and more pleasurable travel for residents of this area. What they achieved was one of the forerunners of the many roads that have been converted to hard-surfaced ones, some of which have been made! today with highly mechanized  equipment like the steel slip-! form pavers uses in highway construction today..

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Main Street and 100 North--Photo of the Day

The photo shows Dave Huish and an unidentified friend at 100 North and Main.  Was probably taken prion to 1917.  The State Bank of Payson opened in 1917 and it does not appear on the right of the photo.  This would be the Wells Fargo Building today. The building on the left is the Hancock Building.  In the background on the right you can see the Douglass Building.  On the left in the distance you can see the Payson Exchange Bank building.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Payson First 100 Years--Part 8--Joseph S. Tanner--Sixth Mayor

    Payson First 100 Years
    Part 8–Joseph S. Tanner–Sixth Mayor
    Payson Historical Society

Wightman Hotel Built — First Bees Brought to Payson

    “Joseph S. Tanner was elected Mayor in 1879. The Wightman Hotel the largest in this section at that time, was built in 1880. It was owned and operated by William and Lucretia Wightman.
    In 1879 John D. Stark induced some of the young men to learn to play band instruments. Jacob Schaerrer was on a mission in Germany and Switzerland. Money was sent to him to purchase some band instruments. He brought them with him on his return home. Three or four of the instruments went to the old band, the rest to the new.
    In March of 1880 the young band joined the old band, thus strengthening the old one. Also in this year the Huish Band was started. This band consisted of six brothers and one sister. The sister, Florette, was probably the first girl to play the drums in a Utah band.
    John D. Stark organized a Sunday School Drums Boys in 1881. He taught the boys for two years. The boys were ten to fourteen years of age.
    George Garner brought the first bees into Payson. Some of the people wishing to raise bees, bought some from him, but not knowing the proper method of their care, many swarms escaped into the mountains. January, 1882, a bee association was started. The officers were Parley Grigg, president; Thomas E. Daniels, secretary and John Done as treasurer. They held meetings occasionally at which bees, and kindred topics, were discussed.
    Seeing the need of doctors or midwives, the Relief Society in 1882 sent th— women to Salt Lake to take a course in obstetrics, as it was then called. 1 instructor was Mrs. Romania Hyde. Those going from Payson were Lucinda Patten, Mrs. John Koontz and Mrs. Mary Oberhansley. Several other women w had been called in as midwives were Mrs. Phelps, Mrs. Rachel Drollinger, CIarissa Moore and Sarah Reece.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 9, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Hancock Building looding South on Main--Photo of the Day

Hancock Building looking South on Main Street from 100 North.  The Hancock Building was built by George W. Hancock.  It stood on the corner where we find Crest Convenience Store today.  Note the poplar trees that once lined Main Street.  Solomon Hancock  had a store on the first floor.  The second floor housed a dance hall and an entertainment hall.  John Badham was the piano player.  Later the second floor house the first Payson Library.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Payson First 100 Years--Part 7--Jonathan S. Page--Fifth Mayor

First Circulating Newspaper Published — First Inoculations Given

    “Jonathan S. Page took oath of Mayor in January of 1875. On March 18, 1875 the Utah Central Railroad came into Payson. It consisted of one baggage car and one freight car loaded with rails.
    On March 26, 1876, Thomas Daniels Jr. installed a printing plant and published a small paper about 8 to 10 inches big called the "Payson Enterprise." This was the first circulating paper printed in Payson.
    In the early part of 1877 the people called a' mass meeting to discuss the proposition of levying and collecting a tax for the payment of teachers. It was decided to tax themselves and pay the teachers moonthly salary. Before this each child attending paid the teacher — generally in produce.
    The Payson Presbyterian Mission was opened August 1877 under the control of the Presbytery of Utah, by Rev. G. W. Leonard of Springville.  In connection with the regular church work,  a school was opened in September the same year, with Mrs. Frazer as teacher. They used Mr. Charles Long's Hall, known as "Independence Hall", for their mission.  This building was located on the north side First North between Third and Fourth East.
    Dr. J. H. Grier came to Payson about 1874-75. He built a home here, owned a drug store, a dry goods store and farm land. He practiced here a few years, then took post graduate work. Upon his return he introduced the diptheria anti-toxin, was also the first to use chloroform as an anesthetic, also the first to vaccinate for smallpox. He later moved to Chicago, where he wrote and published the book, "The Doctor in the Home" later, "The Drugless Road to Health."
    The Primary was organized Oct. 14, 1878 with Margaret Quigley Crook, LaVince Reece Done, Matilda Douglass Dixon, and Mary Adelma Dixon Nebeker, presidents in the four districts.
    In 1878 a public library was started by Joseph L. Townsend and John D. Stark. A door to door canvass was made to collect books for it.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 8-9, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Photo of the Day-- Construction of Strawberry Highline Canal in Payson


The photo above shows the construction of the Strawberry Highline Canal in the Payson area.
    When the Mormon pioneers entered the present state of Utah in 1847, they found an arid and uninviting land in the Great Basin.  The first settlers were soon sent to settle other parts of the region to settle and create new communities.  The settlers tended to settle in areas where water was available from streams that flowed from the nearby mountains.  They began to farm tracts of land where they could divert water from the nearby rivers and streams.
    Utah Valley is located at the eastern edge of the Great Basin Desert.  Most of the land in the valley was very dry and ill-suited for agriculture without irrigation.  As the population of the valley grew,  the need for more irrigated farm land increased.  The settlers in Payson used water from Peteetneet Creek that flowed out of Payson Canyon. 
    By 1860, the settlers began diverting water from the Spanish Fork River and some of the smaller streams.  The water only supplied sufficient water during the runoff months, but when the levels dropped, it only supplied water for only about 12,000 acres of farmland.  When there was heavy snowfall there was usually enough water to irrigate about 30,000 acres.
    As a result of the extremely limited water supply, only a small percentage of land in Utah Valley could be farmed with any certainty of adequate water during the entire growing season. Continuing population increases in Utah Valley, and the lack of sufficient water for arable lands, the need for supplemental water from storage facilities became apparent long before 1900. Utah Valley desperately needed reliable sources of water
    Around the turn of the century, Utah State Senator Henry Gardner and John S. Lewis, visited Strawberry Valley, in Wasatch County, on a camping trip. During the trip they developed an idea for a reservoir in the valley, and a system to transport water through the Wasatch Divide, that separated the Colorado Basin from the Great Basin. Officials of the Spanish Fork East Bench Irrigation and Manufacturing Company investigated the project and in August of 1902, filed for reservoir purposes on the Strawberry River, and for power purposes on the Spanish Fork River.
    In City Council minutes of 1902 the idea of storing water in Strawberry Valley was noted.  In 1904, a committee was appointed to study the feasability of such a project.  The committee was composed of Dr. A. L. Curtis, Dr. L. N. Ellsworth, Arthur Daley, Jonathon S. Page Jr. and John Dixon.  They contacted Senator Reed Smoot to help forwarding the idea through Congress.
    After a thorough study and investigation, the Strawberry Valley Project received approval on December 15, 1905.   provided that: conflicts of water rights claims were resolved; enough acreage was secured for irrigation to reimburse Reclamation on the cost of construction; "and that a clean-cut feasible reclamation project, free from all complications of any kind or character be secured before a dollar is spent on construction.  A special clause in the Reclamation Act of 1902 allowed the Utahans in Utah Valley to pool enough land to receive project approval. The clause allowed residence "in the neighborhood" instead of residence on the land, as required by the Reclamation Act. The provision was inserted in the act especially for Utah projects because of the settlement pattern of Utah farming towns, in which many farmers did not live on their farm land.
    In November 1907 government officials met with the Payson City Council and discussed the possibility of furnishing electric power from the hydro-electric plant that had been built at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon.  The plant had been constructed for the purpose of furnishing power for the machinery that was being used to complete the Strawberry Tunnel that would bring water from Strawberry Valley to Utah Valley.
    On May 26--27, 1916 there was a huge celebration held in Payson to celebrate the completion of the Orem Railroad and the Strawberry Irrigation Project.   The Strawberry Project brought 60,000 acres of new farmland between Spanish Fork and Goshen under cultivation.  The land values went up and there were many new crops that were planted.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Payson First 100 Years--Part 6--Orawell Simons--Fourth Mayor

Salem Canal Dug–First Church Built

    “Orrawell Simons was elected Mayor in 1867. On January 27, the members of the teacher's quorum subscribed $863.50 towards building a meeting house.
    At a meeting held on the 24th, Feb. arrangements were made to buy instrument so a Wasshsmd could be organized. The instruments purchased], <all brass, were paid for by subscription. The citizens donated generously. The railroad only came to Ogden, and it cost $40.00 by stage coach to bring the instruments from Ogden to Salt Lake. T. H. Wilson, Sr., brought them from Salt Lake to Payson free of charge. A band was organized July 1, 1869 with William Clay-- son, Sr., as leader and president. This band was organized under Bishop John B. Fairbanks and his first counselor Orrawell Simons.
    In 1868, under the supervision of Lyman, George and Joseph Curtis, a canal to conduct a portion of the Spanish Fork River on to lands between Payson and Salem was started.  In three years the canal, seven miles long, two feet deep and eight feet wide on the bottom, and twelve feet wide at the top was finished. It irrigated about 2,000 acres.
    Aurora Nebeker Wilson writes: "The first Relief Society of Payson was organized in 1856. Mrs. Rachel Drollinger was president; Pheobe Hancock and Wealthy Patten, counselors and Sally Ann Curtis, secretary. This organization was active until Mrs. Drollinger left for the Muddy mission. Little was done until May 7, 1868 when the Relief Society was officially organized, with Betsy Jane Simons, president; Agnes Douglass and Mary Moore, counselors; Mary Ann Hardy, secretary and Sarah Fairbanks, Treasurer.
    January 9, 1869 a co-operative mercantile institution was organized: John B. Fairbanks, president; Orrawell Simons, Jonathan S. Page, James Finlayson, J. H. Moore and George S. Rust, directors; Isaiah M. Coombs, secretary and David Lant, treasurer, William Douglass was put in as superintendent.
    April 17, a fund was raised for a Sunday School circulating library. An early historian states: "This afforded good reading to the people." The books were mostly histories and biographies.
    In the early part of 1870 silver mines were discovered in the Tintic district. This caused much excitement among the citizens. Feb. 28, the first mineral was discovered in Eureka. The ore was picked up on top of the ground.
    A meeting was called on May 22 and it was decided to tax all the people belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in order to build a Church. Up until this time they had held their meetings in school houses, homes,ctc. A committee consisting of YVm. C. McClellan, George Curtis and George Pickering was chosen to superintend the erection and completion of this building. The building was finished and dedicated by Apostle Woodruff July 20, 1872.
    On June 26, 1870, a co-operative company was organized for raising stock, making butter, cheese, etc. This venture proved very successful.
    The city council in 1870 decided to build a City Hall according to a plan submitted by James Finlayson. This was the first brick building built in Payson. It was two stories high, the upper floor was a one room hall. Rooms were built on {Jig fjf§{ floor for the officers of the city, with a session and a court room; a jail ceii was btiilt in the basement.
    April 26, 1871, Bishop Johll Fairbanks left for a mission to England. On August 20, Joseph S. Tanner was sustained as bishop to succeed bishop Fairbanks.
    On September 18, Payson had telegraphic communication for the first time with Tintic district.
    On Oct. 25, the Payson Ward sent fourteen men and three women to assist in building a Temple at St. George.
    A literary society under the name of "Philomatheon Society" was organized by T. B. Lewis, Oct. of 1871. Mr. Lewis was considered one of the best school teachers in Utah and was Superintendent of the State School. This club met once a week in the upstairs of the old Tithing office. There was drafted a code of by-laws for the regulation of the institution. An organization was effected, consisting of president, and two assistants, secretary, treasurer, editors, male and female. They published a weekly paper with original pieces written by the Payson people. They also had a critic and a jonitor. A lecturer was appointed each week, and they also sang and had debates. The officers were changed from time to time. A very inspiring time was enjoyed by the members. The efforts of the lecturer, editor and declaimers were criticized. This organization continued for six years, at which time a similar organization was started called the Mutual Improvement Society.
    During the winter of 1873-74 a High School was started in the upstairs of the City Hall, J. L. Townsend, principal. This was the first High School south of Salt Lake City and it ran until the B. Y. U. started in Provo about 1875. A set of Andrew's patent school desks were purchased for this school. These desks were the first patented desks west of the Mississippi.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 7-8, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Taylor School--Photo of the Day

The original Taylor School was constructed in 1866 and was used until 1915.  The building was later demolished and a new Taylor School was constructed on the site in 1919.  At that time all students west of Main Street went to Taylor and all students east of Main Street attended the Peteetneet.  The building constructed in 1919 had six classrooms.  In 1919 a new addition was added to the north of the building.  It consisted of four new classrooms and an auditorium that doubled as a lunchroom.
As enrollments increased in the city several new schools, Barnett, Wilson and Park View schools were added to help with the increased  student load.  The entire Taylor School was razed and a new Taylor School was erected on the same site a few years ago.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Colvin and Reece Hardware--Photo of the Day

The Colvin and Reece Hardware Store stood two door north of the present day Morganson Frame Shop on Payson's Main Street.  It was one of the main businesses on Main Street for many years.  It went out of business shortly after the failure of the Payson Savings and Loan in 1924.  The Forsey Family purchased the building in 1928 and established the Ben Franklin Store.  The name was later changed to Forsey Variety Store.  After the building to the north was vacated by the U. S. Post Office, Forsey's opened up their store to include this area.  In the early 1970s the two buildings were remodeled  and incorporated into one larger building.  After Forsey's closed the building later housed a children's clothing store,  a gym, and currently a second-hand store.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Payson First 100 Years--Part 5--Benjamin F. Stewart

PART 5–Benjamin F.Stewart–Third Mayor
Payson Historical Society

“Feb. 9, 1863, at a municipal election, Benjamin F, Stewart was elected as the Third Mayor.

"The Farmers Oracle" Published — Black Hawk War Began
    A Gardener's Club was organized May 16 with Joseph E. Johnson of Spring Lake Villa as president. 1 liis club held weekly meetings for the improvement of its members in horticulture. On the 22nd of this month Mr. Johnson commenced the publication of a semi-weekly paper called "The Farmers' Oracle." It was devoted mainly to the interests of farmers and gardeners. It consisted of eight small pages to an issue, three columns to ihp payu and published the first and third Tuesday in each month. This printing plant was the first to make an appearance in Utah outside of Salt Lake City. Mr. Johnson had a nursery in Spring Lake Villa. In the 9th issue of the Oracle, dated Sept. 22, 1863, it advertises: "A few choice pot-plants, Including Verbenas, Geraniums, Ice-plants, Pansies, etc., also fruits and trees."
    A large and commodious school house was built on the hill in the southern suburbs of the city. It was known as the adobe school house. It was later torn down and the Central School built there.
    About this time Samuel Worsencroft, a Tinner, started in business here.
    January 8, 1865 the jurisdiction of the bishop of Payson Ward was extended south to include Santaquin and Spring Lake Villa.
    As near as it is possible to ascertain, from records we now have, the first Sunday School held in Payson was about 1858. Those responsible for this early organization were: Charles Montrose, Williard G. McMullin, C. W. Wandell and John F. Bellows. The first Sunday School of which records were kept was organized May 5, 1865, with Isaiah M. Coombs as superintendent.
    The settlers were still having trouble with the Indians. The Indians continually ran off with colonists' stock. During the winter of 1864-65, small-pox broke out among a band of Indians near Manti. A large number died, among them was Chief Arropeen's father. The Indians believed the* white settlers to be in league with the evil spirit, thus causing the epidemic, so in order for the sickness to cease they must kill off the ones responsible.
    Matters came to a crisis when Chief Arropeen joined forces with Chief Black Hawk, with the intentions of running off cattle. The settlers hearing of the intended raid, a number of them went to gather their stock. On the way they wer.£ attacked by the Indians and Peter Ludvigsen was killed. After thi§ the "Black Hawk War" as it was called, developed rapidly.
    The Indians ravaged about 27 settlements during the next two years. Late in the fall of 1867 Black Hawk accompanied only by his family appeared on the Uintah
reservation. Black Hawk repented and visited all the settlements asking forgiveness. He then retired to Spring Lake, the place where he was born, and died there about 1870 and was buried in the foothills.
    In January of 1866 a census was taken of the city showing a population of 1,139. It was ascertained at that time there were in the community, 7,000 bushels of wheat, 219 head of oxen, 199 horses and mules and 131 vehicles.
    Anson Sheffield, James Finlayson and John Loveless, school trustees, were instructed to build two school houses. One school was built in the northwest part of town, and finished. This one was always known as the "Rock School House." Between 1866 and 1875 four schools were built, one in each quarter of town. The other three were built of adobe.
    A re-survey of the city, farming and hay fields was made by Daniel Stark. The limits of the city proper were extended half a mile each way. An ordinance was passed naming the streets of the city.
    On November 19, the Deseret Telegraph Company set up its poles through town. The wires were stretched December 3 and a telegraph office opened in the Tithing Office with John D. Stark as first operator.”*

Friday, June 5, 2015

Taylor School--Photos of the Day

Between 1863 and 1865  schools were built in each of the four sections of the city.  Each school was named after various members of the school trustees.  The original Taylor School seen in the first photo was constructed on 500 West and Utah Avenue.
The original building was torn down in the early 1900 and in 1919 the second Taylor School located at the same location construction was started.  Classes were held for the first time in January 1920.  The second photo shows the school after a new addition to the north and was opened for use in 1949.  This second building was demolished  prior to 2000 and a third Taylor School can now be found on the same site.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Douglass Brothers Hardware--Photo of the Day

The two sons of William Douglass, an early Payson Merchant built a two-story hardware store on 100 North Between Main Street and 100 East around 1900.  It was located where we find the east portion of  todays Walgreen Drug Store.  Samuel and Joseph operated the store together for a number of years until Samuel built a three story building on the northwest corner of Main Street and Utah Avenue in the early 1890s and went into business for himself.  This photo was taken at the time of the celebration of the completion of the Orem Railroad and the Strawberry Canal in 1916.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Second Ward Sunday School 1901--Photo of the Day

This photo is the Payson Second Ward Sunday School and was taken in 1901.  Do you recognize any ancestors ? 

Monday, June 1, 2015

Payson First 100 Years--Part 4--John Thomas Hardy--Second Mayor

PART 4–John Thomas Hardy–Second Mayor
Payson Historical Society

Nail Factory Started — Water Masters Appointed

    “In 1859 John Thomas Hardy was elected Mayor and he held this position until 1862. In 1859 David Sabin, William A. Beebe, Ben.j.amin F. and Andrew J. Stewart, and others, started a nail factory. Thk was the first nail factory in the Territory. Their "fixed capital" came from a thousand wagons with four chains and ox yokes for each wagon which tike Stewarts had bought from Camp Floyd. The factony was started to use up the iron. In the course of time this factory was abandoned as they could not compete in price with the eastern factories.
    A carding and spinning factory was also in operation at this time, but finally had to go out of business for the same reason.
    On September 19, 1859, VVranklin Wheeler Young was sent by President Brigham Young to preside over Payson as Bishop thus releasing Bishop Hancock. The first thing the new bishop did was to put a fence through the tithing yard to protect the hay.
    Under his leadership many trades or enterprises were stimulated. The choir was re-organized and D. B. Lamoreaux was chosen as leader. During the winter of 1859-60 there were three schools taught, under the tutorship of W. G. McMullin, H. G. Boyle and James A. Wright.
    A company consisting of Wm. C. McClellan, George Curtis, John F. Bellows, Orrawell Simons and George W. Hancock was organized to build a theare and dance hall. It was called the "Union Hall" and was used for all kinds of public amusements and recreation. This was the first public house of any size built here. A dramatic association was organized with W. C. McClellan, R. E. Collett, J. D. L. Pearce, Charles Brewerton, Lucretia J. Wightman, and Mary Jane Pace as leaders. Other members were Thomas E. Daniels, Mosiah Hancock, Mrs. Pearce, Mrs. Winslow and Mrs. Rawson.
    Arrangements were made the spring of 1860 to fence in the hay and farming lands. For the first time in the history of the place, the city council appointed water masters over all the ditches. A reading club was organized Dec. 10, 1860, with the following officers elected: John B. Fairbanks, president, B. F. Stewart and W. G. McMullin as councelors, John R. Young, secretary and J. H. Moore, treasurer.
    In 1861, the people with teams, plows, spades, shovels, wagon , etc., journeyed to the mouth of Peteetneet Canyon and dug a waste water c :ch west to a natural reservoir. This ditch prevented the high waters in the sprin from doing damage to the town and to hold the water for later use. This brougl t under cultivation land known as the "Poor Man's Field. Another story was built on the tithing house.
    On Oct. 18, 1861 Bishop Franklin W. Young was called to settle in the "Cotton Country" so his brother, Joseph W. Young was appointed bishop. Joseph was a very able leader. Public meetings of all kinds received a fresh impetus, the tithing house was finished, reading club re-organized, schools encouraged. He was only here a short time, being called Feb. 1862 to take charge of the emigratior business. John B. Fairbanks was then sustained as bishop with Orrawell Simon and Benjamin F. Stewart as counselors.
    There being prospects for Indian troubles, a military school was organized and taught by General W. B. Pace of Provo.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 5, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950