Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Main Street and 100 South About 1940--Photo of the Day

This photo was taken about 1940 looking north on Main Street from about 150 South Main.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Main Street Post Office 1915--Photo of the Day

Main Street 1915--Post Office
In 1914, the post office was moved  to 17 South Main when Karl Huish was appointed as the new postmaster.      It is the 2nd door from the right in the photograph.  This was later the location of Roe's Bakery and today it is the home to a local restaurant. The post office was later moved to the Erlandson Building at 50 North Main where we find JoAnn’s Head Shed today.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Payson--The First 100 Years Part 3 David Crockett

                                               PART 3–David Crockett--First Mayor
                                                          Payson Historical Society

Walker War — First Grist Mill Built

            “The first city council was organized in April, 1853, with David Crockett elected mayor; others in the council were: Alderme” n, Benjamin F. Stewart, John B. Fairbanks, James E. Daniels, Israel Calkins, James McClellan; Councilors, David Fairbanks, James Adair, Henry Nebeker, Elijah Haws, William C. McClellan, Breede Searle, H. Stevens, James B. Brackin, Samuel Adair, Joseph Curtis, Benjamin Cross and George Wilson.  From then on the Bishops, City Council and Citizens have worked together for civic betterment and the growth of this community.
            Mayor Crockett had only been in office a short time at the outbreak of the Walker War.
In consequence of the Indian trouble, the people David Crocket were compelled to fort in again, in many instances the houses had to be torn down  (they were made of logs) and built in fort style. The settlement had grown so that it made a row of houses sixty rods square. The Pioneers built a fort around the settlement. The wall was four feet thick, eight feet high on the inside, and sloped to the outside. The mud was taken from a trench four feet deep on the outside of the wall. The north wall was never completed as the trouble came from the south. Gates were on the south and east. The east gate was located at the old adobe barn. The public square was in the center of the fort, where the Nebo Stake Tabernacle now stands. A flagpole stood in the center of the square and a public well to the north of it. There was also a public woodpile.
            Bishop Cross died Dec. 30, 1853, and this left the bishopric in charge of the councilors, Breede Searles and Joseph Curtis. Not until March 5, 1854 another bishop ordained. Charles B. Hancock was then put in as bishop with James McClellan and John B. Fairbanks as Councelors. The first adobe houses were built in 1855, and a few shingles were now being used on roofs instead of dirt. Charles B. Hancock, Breede Searles and others built a grist mill. This was quite an undertaking, as the building and machinery had to be built out of mountain timber. The only iron obtainable for gudgeons and other parts where iron had to be used, was old wagon tires and scraps.
            The Deseret News, August 29, 1855 states: "The inhabitants of Payson Nephi, Palmyra. Springville, etc. are respectfully invited to call and try the Payson Grist Mill, where they can get as good a turn out of flojur and of the best quality as any mill in the county. Charles B. Hancock and Co..

P. S. “We will warrant 43 lbs. of good flour to 60 lbs. of good wheat."

This mill was purchased by Orrawell Simons about the year 1860. He rebuilt and improved it. Pardon Webb built the first saw mill in Payson Canyon, and started the manufacture of lumber and shingles during the year of 1854. The roads to the canyon were improved in order to get out the lumber which was not only used in Payson but surrounding settlements.
            Henry Nebeker built a school house in 1855. and although it was a private school he let it be used for public purposes of all kinds and the children of the town were allowed to attend school there. Jane Simons and Isaiah M. Coombs were among the first teachers.
            The first theatrrical performance was given in 1856. Joseph Barker, Salt Lake City, gunsmith, plaved the lead, taking the part of "Luke the Laborer," in a drama of that name. The play was given in the home of Franklin Stewart. Cotton cloth, without paint was used for scenery.
            During this year the Indians killed some people in Cedar Valley so the citizens again had to keep guard, both around the towns and their herds of cattle and horses. Farmers had to plow and sow with gun in hand.
            The bishop lead out in building a Tithing House in 1858. A cellar was excavated 34 by 56 feet on the outside. This was walled up with sandstone, then adobe and notive pine were used. The basement was completed the first year, with just a dirt floor. A stage was built in the south end. Cans of tallow with a rag in the center, and candles lighted the hall. The bishop seeing that the men were willing to work, had them build a stone wall around the tithing yard about two or three feet high. A small cellar was built with a tannery and machine shop on the top.
            The year 1858 was the year of the "Move". The President of the United States, James Buchanan, sent out a large army to invade Utah, as it was reported that the Mormons were not loyal to the government. All the people in Salt Lake and north of there were told to move south. This brought many into Payson, especially the poorer class as they could go no further. Bishop Hancock, realizing the condition of the people, led out in many enterprises in order to make work. He built another grist mill in the upper part of town. This mill was purchased in the year 1880 by the Payson Co-operative Institution. They had a first-class merchant mill built on the site and commenced operation with James Finlayson in charge. In 1881, Finlayson became the owner. Better roads were made into the canyon. With his brother George W. a glove factory was started, lumber yard, tannery, shoe shop and etc.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” pages 2-3, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Payson Pavilion--Photo of the Day

In 1890, the Payson Brass Band and the Huish Band consolidated and formed what became known as the Payson Silver Band.  The group purchased a set of seven new silver instruments.  The members paid for the instruments in co-operation with the patronage of the public.
Over the next ten years, the band performed at many locations from Ogden in the north to Mt. Pleasant in the south.  With the success that the band was having, they began to consider the possibility of building a facility in which they could play and hold dances.  In 1902, the members of the band set about building what was to become known as "The Payson Pavilion." It was located on the southeast corner of today's Utah Avenue and 100 West.
It had large windows that would open for circulation during the warm months and stoves were located in the corners to heat the building in the winter months.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Payson--The First 100 Years--Part 2 James Pace

                                                          PART 2–JAMES PACE
                                                       by Payson Historical Society

           " With James Pace as head of the colony, it started to progress.  A meeting was called and school trustees appointed. They were: Joseph and George Curtis and James E. Daniels. Immediately steps were taken to build a school house which was finished and school started in April of 1851.
            A picket fence made of large stakes, nine feet high, the first fort was built around the dwellings for protection against the Indians. The colony increased so that a larger fort was layed out about the middle of March.
            In the Deseret News of 1851 we find: "On Friday, March 21, 1851, at 3 o'clock p.m., President Brigham Young and party, who were on a visiting tour through the settlements of Utah County, arrived in Payson and stopped over night with fames Pace. Parley P. Pratt and Charles C. Rich's camp came up and formed a corral on the west side of the fort. The following day, March 22,  many of the brethren on their way to California, arrived and joined the main camp. On Sunday, March 23rd, a meeting was held in the fort addressed by Charles C. Rich, Heber C. Kimball and Amasa M. Lyman. (President Young being sick.) In the evening another meeting was held in the' house of James Pace, on which occasion Benjamin Cross was ordained a high priest and set apart as bishop of Payson. On the 24th, President Young and Kimball organized all the camps destined for California, after which the president's party started on their return journey to Great Salt Lake.
            The first child born in this new colony was Jerushia Morrison Searles, daughter cf John Courtland and Jerusha Morrison Hill Searles, on January 30th.  She died Feb. 8, 1851, living just nine days. Pheobe Hancock owned the first loom in Payson and wove the first cloth in this year.
            Their first summer (in 1851) they had good crops of wheat, potatoes and garden vegetables on their newly plowed  farms.
            In the Church Chronology by Andrew Jensen it states that early in die year of 1852, post offices were established at American Fork, Springville, and Payson, in Utah County. As far as can be ascertained, John T. Hardy was the first postmaster in Payson. The post office being one room in his home. In August of 1851, Benjamin F. Stewart was elected Justice of the Peace, being the first to hold this office.
            On the 28th of August 1852, James Pace and Elias Gardner were called on missions to England, being the first missionaries sent out of Utah. James McClellan succeeded to the presidency. It may be well to state here that the name of Peteetneet was changed to "Pacen" as it was first spelled, in honor of James Pace and sons.  The spelling was later changed to Payson.
            January 21, 1853, the Legislature of the Territory passed an act incorporating Payson City, by which name the place has been known since. The following boundaries of the new city as stated in its charter, Viz: "Commencing at a point of the east bank of Utah Lake due west from the center of the public square in the city of Payson, in Utah County, thence south one mile, thence east to mountains, thence along the base of the mountains to a spring known as "Goose Nest Spring" thence northerly to a point where the bridge crosses the Pond Town Slough, thence, down said slough to Duck Creek, thence west to Peteetneet Creek, and down the main channel of said creek to Utah Lake, thence south along the shore of said lake to the place of beginning." These boundaries were changed March 6, 1882, to read as follows: Commencing at the northwest corner of Township 9 south of Range 2 east, Salt Lake Meridian, in Utah County, thence east three miles, thence south two and three-fourths miles, thence west three miles, thence north two and three-fourths miles; thus leaving an area for the city government of eight and one-quarter miles." *

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” pages 2-3, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Main Lobby--Payson Exchange Savings Bank--Photo of the Day

These two photos show the interior of the Payson Exchange Savings Bank located on the southeast corner of Main Street and Utah Avenue.  This is now the location of Eli's Old Fashioned Ice Cream and Soda Shop.  The original bank opened in 1891 and closed in 1924 when it failed.  Payson City purchased the building in 1927.  The main part of the bank served as the City Library.  The City Office and Police Station were located in the east portion of the building.  The Council Chamber was located on the second floor.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Payson--The First 100 Years--Part 1 James Pace

    Payson Historical Society
    James Pace–Part 1

    “The Payson Story” was a booklet that was published under the direction of  the Payson Centennial Committee in 1950.  The booklet was compiled by Rhea Hone, Phyllis Swanson and Gene Worthington.   It  narrated some of the interesting and important events that transpired in Payson from the settlement from October 20, 1850  to October 1950. The material was gathered from diaries, histories of Payson by early historians, from pioneers, old newspapers and from the minutes of the Payson City Council. It was by no means a complete history of Payson, that would have taken a much larger book.  The authors tried to show through the mayors from 1850 to 1950 the growth of Payson.  This growth was a combination of the City Council, Clubs, both social and civic, the Church and every individual in the community.  Many past residents of Payson furnished information and photos for this publication.
    The Payson Historical Society would like to share this important history with people who are interested in the history of our community.

James Pace--Part I
    “Peteetneet or Payson, as it is now called, one of the principal towns in South Utah county, is situated on a little creek that the Indians called "Peteetneet" meaning "Little Water", and an Indian Chief Peteetneet that lived in this vicinity in the early days. Payson is about 2 miles from the Wasatch mountains, 66 miles from Salt Lake City and 7 miles from Utah Lake.
    In the Autumn of 1850 President Brigham Young advised a settlement be made on the banks of Peteetneet Creek. On the evening of October 20, 1850, three families, James Pace, John Courtland Searles and Andrew Jackson Stewart, and two boys, Allison Hill and Nathaniel Haws, 17 souls in all, drew up in their wagons and made camp. As winter would soon arrive, they immediately began to harvest the wild hay found James Pace growing there, made corrals and erected log cabins.
    The cabins were built from rough hewed cotton-wood logs, chopped along the banks of Peteetneet creek. Not having a broad-axe they hewed the logs with an
ordinary axe.
    The settlement was further enlarged by the Daniels family arriving the last of November, George and Joseph Curtis families, December 7, and Elias Gardner family the latter part of December.
    On the 18th of December, 1850, Apostle George A. Smith and party stopped at Peteetneet on their way to Little Salt Lake. According to Andrew Jensen, Apostle Smith wrote from Peteetneet under date of Dec. 20, 1850, the following: "Great credit is due Captain James Pace for the energy he has manifested in making this
settlement, twenty miles from any other. From this location .under his direction a fine and extensive settlement may soon be looked for by the pioneers of the mountains.
    Before continuing his journey southward, Apostle George A. Smith wrote to President Brigham Young: "While we were here waiting for the rear wagons, the people of this place came together and were organized into a branch, (Dec. 20, 1850) Brother James Pace was appointed to preside; Brother Andrew J. Stewart was appointed clerk. The branch will be known by the name of the Peteetneet Branch with thirty-five members, old and young. We then gave the saints there such instructions as the spirit directed. We had a first rate visit and were warmly entertained by Brother Pace and the brethren at this place."
    On the 23rd of December Charles B. Hancock arrived hoping to meet G. A. Smith's company and journey on with them, but they had left and left orders for no one to follow so he remained here. During the winter the settlement was further strengthened by the families of Breede Searle, Benjamin Cross, Henry E. Stevens, William C. Patten, John F. Bellows, James McClellan, Benjamin F. Stewart and James McFate.”

Monday, May 11, 2015

Schramm Bakery and Home--Photo of the Day

Carl Schramm started the first bakery in his home about 1870.  The site later became the location of  the Salt Lake and Utah Railway (Orem Railroad) shops.  After the demise of the railroad in Payson in 1946, the railroad shops became the location of the Payson City Shops.  When Payson constructed a new city shop by the sewer plant, the old shops were demolished.  This is the location of Best Deal Spring Service today.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Payson High School in 1913--Photo of the Day

The old Payson High School was located on the southeast corner of Main Street and 600 South.  It was completed in 1912 and the building was dedicated on January 24, 1913.  The gymnasium was constructed later in 1938 south of the main school building.  Today, we find the Payson Pool located on the site.