Monday, August 17, 2015

Payson The First 100 Years--Part 14--John H. Dixon--Twelfth Mayor

                                               PAYSON–THE FIRST 100 YEARS
                                                          John H. Dixon–Twelfth Mayor
                                                         Payson Historical Society

            “Beginning the year 1900, John H. Dixon became the twelfth  mayor of Payson. In this year the band purchased new uniforms, paid for by putting on entertainments to which the citizens patronized liberally, this did not entirely pay for them so each member contributed.
            A band contest was held in Spanish Fork in August. A prize of $50.00 was given for the best band. Bands from Springville, Spanish Fork and Payson entered. Prof. A. C. Smith was adjudicator. Payson won the fifty dollars.
            A small reservoir was made a little way up the canyon so water could be stored in order to run the power house and a flume built from it to the power house.
            Board side walks were placed in front of some of the stores on Main Street.
            April 2, 1897 the City gave to the school district the west one-half block of square on the east bench to be used for a school building. In 1901 the Peteetneet School was erected on this ground and used for the grades.
            On November 5, 1901 James Finlayson's grist mill burned down. This was a great loss not only to Mr. Finlayson, but to the town as this was the only grist mill.
            The people of Spanish Fork, Salem, Springville, Payson, Santaquin and Goshen felt the need for more water for irrigation. They investigated and found a natural reservoir in Strawberry Valley which by doing a little work could be enlarged and would hold a great deal of water. They took their proposition to the government in 1902 but a committee was not appointed to work on it until 1904.
            The Payson Silver Band built a large dance pavillion in 1902 on West Depot Street (Utah Avenue) and today’s 100 West.   It had a raised spring dance floor, the large windows could be let down in the summer to make an open air hall. It was built where El Roy Barnett's service station is now.
            February 24, 1903, W. C. Orem was granted the right to build the Interurban Railroad into Payson. This electric railroad would run from Salt Lake City to Payson.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 14, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Samuel Douglass Building--Photo of the Day

The Samuel Douglass Building

    The two-story brick Douglass Building was constructed by Samuel Douglass for his general merchandise store. DOUGLASS and 1895 were imprinted in the triangular facade at the top of the" east front.  It was located on the northwest corner of Main Street and Utah Avenue.
    The building had been constructed on the site where Sam's father, William Douglass, had built his barn in pioneer days. William had also built his 'home on the far north end of the block and his general merchandise store was across the street to the north.
    During construction of the Samuel Douglass Building men and teams were under contract for $2.50 per day to haul brick from Benjamin and Salem. They often worked twelve hours per day in order to deliver the specified 2,000 bricks (or two wagon-loads) a day. Adobe brick used for lining was hauled from a yard on South Eighth West Street in Payson. Sandstone trim came from Diamond Fork Canyon.
    The building was originally planned as a hotel, but Mr. Douglass opened a store instead and stocked it with dry goods, notions, shoes, groceries, candy, hardware, paint, glass, cement, coal and other items.
    Coal oil lamps were at first used for lighting, but by 1897 Thomas Daniels had been hired to wire it for electricity. The store was heated with pot-bellied coal stoves in cold weather. On mild days coal oil heaters were used for heating.
    Mr. Douglass was in business almost 20 years. He retired in 1911 and soon afterward rented the building to the Bertelson Brothers, whose store across the street had been destroyed by fire. They specialized in men's clothing until the early 1920's. After they left, the building was rented to a number of merchants including Roy Jensen. Ben Roe operated Everybody's Department Store in the building. Waldo Jackson and later Dal Adams had appliance stores there, Rusty and Harold Smith, a tin shop.
    The second floor was used for offices and apartments and a certain portion was used for public dances and private parties. New doctors, Asa L. Curtis and Lynn D. Stewart, each established offices in the second floor. Dr. Stewart and his wife, Nellie and young son, Max, occupied one of the apartments. Attorneys R. A. Porter and R. W. McMullin, also had their first offices in the building.
    Some time after the original construction of the building was completed, a smaller shop was built  onto the north of it. Here for many years the Payson Police Department had headquarters. Later the space was occupied by Hawkins and Rodgers (Willis) Barber Shop, Paul's Cafe (Wirthlin), Peck's Bakery, Bradshaw Auto Parts and Allgood (Dell) the Jeweler.
    In 1953 the building was sold to J. W. Christensen, who had it razed and constructed in its place a one-story building to house the City Drug. He had previously been in business across the street in the Lewis Building with Elmo Christiansen as partner. W. W. Hansen, who had been employed in the business as pharmacist, leased and later purchased the business.
*Information from “Peteetneet Town, A History of Payson, Utah” by Maadline C. Dixon, page 59

PAYSON–THE FIRST 100 YEARS--Part 13–James S. Peery–Eleventh Mayor

                                                PAYSON–THE FIRST 100 YEARS
                                              Part 13–James S. Peery–Eleventh Mayor
                                                          Payson Historical Society

Curfew Bell Bought — Electric Plant and Water Wheel Purchased by the City

            “James S. Peery went into office as the eleventh mayor in January 1896.  At the first meeting,  plans were made for a statehood celebration for Monday, Januray 6. Utah had just been admitted as a state.
            The businessmen felt the need of a night watchman to protect their places of business during the night. They met with the city council and agreed to pay part of the night watchman's wages if the city paid the balance.
            The people also felt at this time that an ordinance  should be passed to prevent minors from loitering about upon the streets, byways or other public places late at night. A curfew bell was bought on July 13, 1896 and a bell tower was built on the top of the City Hall for the bell. The night watchman then rang the bell by means of a long rope about 9 o'clock p.m. and all
children under twelve,  unless with a guardian, had to be off the streets.
            Up until this time,  each town did their own assessing of taxes.  The council raised or lowered taxes as they wished. July 27, 1896 the County started to assessing the taxes, the city then only had the power to remit and rebate for indigent and infirm persons.
            Fishing has always been a sport that people liked to indulge in. November 30, 1896 black bass were placed in all the reservoirs in the canyon. Maple Lake still has a few.
            The owners of the Payson Electric light Plant wished to sell.  Payson City was interested and appointed a committee consisting of Thomas H. Wilson Jr., George A. Finlayson, J. M. Boyle and Mayor J. S. Perry to investigate the possibilities of building a power house at the mouth of the canyon and using water for power. The committee found a site very favorable.
            The city then agreed to buy the plant for $2000.00.   Work was started on the building at the mouth of the canyon to house the electric plant June 9, 1897. On Sept. 31, the old plant was bought from T. G. Wimmer. On Oct. 25 a water wheel was bought and both were moved to the new building. November 1, the plant started operations in its new home. Junior Wightman was hired by the city to take charge. The people then had all night light service instead of until twelve midnight.
            April 1898 an ordinance was passed that all births and deaths occurring in Payson, City had to be registered. Since that time, records have been kept.
The Globe-Header, printed August 27, 1898 makes this statement:  According to an announcement, the Globe-Header makes its initial bow to the public today. We do not intend to make any great spludge of a temporary nature, or any wonderful announcement, but shall endeavor to issue a clean and creditable paper, and ask the people to aid and assist us in our efforts." *

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 13-14, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Monday, August 10, 2015

Part 12--Charles W. Brewerton--Tenth Mayor

    Part 12–Charles W. Brewerton–Tenth Mayor
    Payson Historical Society

Cemetery Grounds Improved

    “On January 2, 1894 a new council took their seats with Charles W. Brewerton as the Tenth Mayor.
    The cemetery was further improved by making a road through. This necessitated the moving of many graves out of the streets. The sunken graves were mounded up.
    More streets were opened up and the roads and side walks graveled. An ordinance was passed prohibiting sheep from traveling certain streets in the city limits. In order to make roads two tongue scrapers were bought.
    In the fall of 1894 all the reservoirs in the canyon were improved the ditches running into the reservoirs widened, the level of the East reservoir was raised five feet and of Maple Lake three feet.
    Water mains (ditches) on tenth street between D and F streets. Water was taken out of the creek south of F street and turned back into main creek channel at D street. This made a constant stream of water on tenth street to be used in case of fires or other purposes. The line poles and hitching posts were placed upon culverts or water ditch line making the street wider.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 13, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Friday, August 7, 2015

PART - 11--Hyrum Lemon--9th Mayor

    Part 11–Hyrum Lemon–Ninth Mayor
    Payson Historical Society

Reservoir Built--Hand Fire Engine and Hose, Street Sprinkler Purchases

    “At the election in November of 1890,  Hyrun Lemon was elected as the Ninth Mayor to take office.  He took office in January 1891.  The first bank in Payson, the Payson Exchange Savings Bank, started to business on April 29, 1890, but did not get a license to operte until January 1, 1891, and they secured this license from Mayor Lemon.
    From  time to time the people had animamals die, not knowing what to do with them, the city finally purchased three acres from Wallace Chard to be used for this purpose. They also secured ground east of Rocky Ridge from the same purpose.
    Have found at this time,  no date for the first reservoirs built up the canyon. On August 29, 1891,  we find where Reservoir No. 3 was finished. On Sept. 4, 1891,  a reservoir was made of Maple Lake. This helped materially with the water supply for irrigation.
    Not having adequate means for fighting fire,  a hand fire engine and hose was purchased October 31, 1891.   D. E. Sargent was appointed Chief of the Fire Department.  An engine house was built on the City Hall grounds and an iron fence was put around the City Hall Property.
    In June 1892,  it was decided to organize a fire department.  The rules being: first, having an organization consisting of twenty men; second, furnish each man with one hat, one red woolen shirt and one belt; third, furnish the department with pick axe, speaking trumpet -and two lanterns; fourth, each fire fighter be allowed 50 cents per hour when on duty at fires and when called out by authority of the council; fifth, buy a light hose cart so men would have means of transporting the hose to the fire. This cart was bought Sept. 10, 1892.
    In 1893 the streets of Payson were named and Daniel Stark was hired to make a Plat of Payson City.
    In April of 1893, 149 Lombarda Poplar and 40 Locust trees were planted in the city park and 34 Lombarda Poplar and 46 Locust trees planted in the cemetery. This made a big improvement in each place.
    The business men met with the council and asked for a street sprinkler, the dust being so bad in the roads. The city bought the street sprinkler June 10, 1893. It was up to the people in the sprinkling district to pay for the running of it. In order to fill the sprinkler,  a platform was erected near Simon's old mill, the water was taken out of the creek.
    The electric plant had been in the grist mill but according to the Iliff Herald of February 24, 1892.  Iit was moved to a new brick building just north of Main Street.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 12, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Part 10--Payson First 100 Years--John J. McClellan--Eighth Mayor

First Electric Lights Turned On — Iliff Academy Built

    ”John J. McClellan was the new mayor to take office January of 1887. He held this position for two terms.
    When Payson was first settled it was not laid off in streets or blocks as it is now. Just how early they decided to make straight roads through the town in both directions is not at the time known, but during Mr. McClellans reign of mayor we find where the city buys property from individuals or trades in order to make roads and side walks. The roads and side walks were graveled and culverts put in at the crossings. The road to the cemetary was white washed.
    The Paysonian, a newspaper was established in 1888. It is said it was independent in politics. It was edited by Lawrence Jorgenseon and issued every Thursday.
    March 8, 1880 the office of Alderman was abolished by the act of Legislative assembly, they are now called councilmen.
    During the summer of 1880 the band of Provo and their leader, James W. Wallis promoted a Utah County band Contest. It was held in Provo in October. Five bands participated. Two from Lehi, one from Spanish Fork, the Huish from Payson and the Payson Brass Band. Spanish Fork won second and the Huish Band favorable mention. A prize was also given for the best cornet solo and bass solo. George H. Done received the prize for the cornet and William Clayson Jr. for the bass, each received a silver goblet. Thus Payson won three of the four prizes given.
    In 1889, the Payson Brass Band and the Huish band consolidated and formed the Payson Silver Band.
In some old minutes we find on October 11, 1890, a petition from Thomas p. Daniels Jr. James A. Daniels, George Finlayson and G. W. Hancock under the name of the Payson Electric Light and Power Co. asked permission to erect poles and stretch wires in the streets and alleys of Payson City. This petition was granted and electric lights were turned on In Payson December 24 1890. The power consisted of one dynamo owned by Thomas E. Daniel Jr. and George W. Haycock. The dynamo was first located in the Finlayson Grist Mill. It ran from six o'clock p.m. until twelve midnight.
    A Methodist Church and school, called the Iliff Academy was built in 1890. They published a weekly newspaper called the "Iliff Academy Herald." In the issue of February 24, 1892 consisting of eight pages, was the following adv. "The Iliff Academy and Payson Business College, Academis, Normal, Scientific, Philosophical and classical Courses, An Academic Preparatory, School of Music. Thorough Business College. A faculty consisting of six experienced teachers.

R. A. Smith, President.”*

*Quoted from “The Payson Story” page 11, published by the Payson Centennial Committee, October 1950

Monday, August 3, 2015

Old Payson Library 1981--Photo of the Day

In late 1981 the Payson City Library moved from the  old Payson Exchange Bank Building after calling it home from 1927 until 1981 a total of 54 years.  Payson City had purchased the building in 1927 after the bank closed.  The building contained the City Library in the west end of the building.  To the east could be found the city offices and the Police Department.  The library occupied an area of 800 square feet on the main floor and a junior library was built downstairs in the basement area of the building.
In late 1981 the library was moved to the remodeled City Building that was the former Payson Hospital facility.  In the new location they had about 12,000 square feet to utilize for the library.  It remained here until it was moved to the remodeled J. C. Penney Building on Payson Main Street where we find it today.
The library area of the old building is now occupied by the Book Vault in the basement and Eli's Ice Cream Shop on the main level.

Sunday, August 2, 2015

J. C. Penneys--Photo of the Day

The J. C. Penney store located to Payson in about 1940.  It occupied a building that once housed Knowles Motor.  Knowles Motor had erected the building around 1920.  Penneys  occupied this location for about the next 25 years until around 1965.  After it closed, the Arcade, a small mini-mall opened in the building.  Mac and JoEllen Whitelock remodeled the building and had an apartment in the rear of the store.  The front of the store housed their antique store, Main Street Antinques.  It was later once again remodeled and this is now the location of the Payson City Library.  This building has been located on Payson Main Street for almost 100 years.