Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Payson--The First 100 Years--Part 1 James Pace
Payson Historical Society
James Pace–Part 1
“The Payson Story” was a booklet that was published under the direction of the Payson Centennial Committee in 1950. The booklet was compiled by Rhea Hone, Phyllis Swanson and Gene Worthington. It narrated some of the interesting and important events that transpired in Payson from the settlement from October 20, 1850 to October 1950. The material was gathered from diaries, histories of Payson by early historians, from pioneers, old newspapers and from the minutes of the Payson City Council. It was by no means a complete history of Payson, that would have taken a much larger book. The authors tried to show through the mayors from 1850 to 1950 the growth of Payson. This growth was a combination of the City Council, Clubs, both social and civic, the Church and every individual in the community. Many past residents of Payson furnished information and photos for this publication.
The Payson Historical Society would like to share this important history with people who are interested in the history of our community.
James Pace--Part I
“Peteetneet or Payson, as it is now called, one of the principal towns in South Utah county, is situated on a little creek that the Indians called "Peteetneet" meaning "Little Water", and an Indian Chief Peteetneet that lived in this vicinity in the early days. Payson is about 2 miles from the Wasatch mountains, 66 miles from Salt Lake City and 7 miles from Utah Lake.
In the Autumn of 1850 President Brigham Young advised a settlement be made on the banks of Peteetneet Creek. On the evening of October 20, 1850, three families, James Pace, John Courtland Searles and Andrew Jackson Stewart, and two boys, Allison Hill and Nathaniel Haws, 17 souls in all, drew up in their wagons and made camp. As winter would soon arrive, they immediately began to harvest the wild hay found James Pace growing there, made corrals and erected log cabins.
The cabins were built from rough hewed cotton-wood logs, chopped along the banks of Peteetneet creek. Not having a broad-axe they hewed the logs with an
The settlement was further enlarged by the Daniels family arriving the last of November, George and Joseph Curtis families, December 7, and Elias Gardner family the latter part of December.
On the 18th of December, 1850, Apostle George A. Smith and party stopped at Peteetneet on their way to Little Salt Lake. According to Andrew Jensen, Apostle Smith wrote from Peteetneet under date of Dec. 20, 1850, the following: "Great credit is due Captain James Pace for the energy he has manifested in making this
settlement, twenty miles from any other. From this location .under his direction a fine and extensive settlement may soon be looked for by the pioneers of the mountains.
Before continuing his journey southward, Apostle George A. Smith wrote to President Brigham Young: "While we were here waiting for the rear wagons, the people of this place came together and were organized into a branch, (Dec. 20, 1850) Brother James Pace was appointed to preside; Brother Andrew J. Stewart was appointed clerk. The branch will be known by the name of the Peteetneet Branch with thirty-five members, old and young. We then gave the saints there such instructions as the spirit directed. We had a first rate visit and were warmly entertained by Brother Pace and the brethren at this place."
On the 23rd of December Charles B. Hancock arrived hoping to meet G. A. Smith's company and journey on with them, but they had left and left orders for no one to follow so he remained here. During the winter the settlement was further strengthened by the families of Breede Searle, Benjamin Cross, Henry E. Stevens, William C. Patten, John F. Bellows, James McClellan, Benjamin F. Stewart and James McFate.”