Sunday, December 6, 2015

TAYLOR AND PETEETNEET MEMORIES






Remember When
Thursday, 15 May 2008
Kenna Holm

TAYLOR AND PETEETNEET MEMORIES
 

  I’ve been thinking about when I was in grade school. As you can see from the pictures, we just had group pictures, no individual ones. There were only 2 elementary schools here in town, Taylor and Peteetneet. Now, these two schools were bitter rivals, kind of like Payson and Spanish Fork.
    I never went into Peteetneet while I was in grade school so I had to call someone who had.  I chose to call Duane Haskell who Iwent to Jr. High and High School after he got out of Peteetneet. (Smart guy. I always sat behind him in all our classes in Jr High and High School because they would set us alphabetically and he being Haskell and me Heaps, we sat by each other in a lot of classes)



   At that time there was no addition to the north of the Peteetneet. It was just dirt, rocks, weeds, and sage. Their playground was the vast square . They played marbles, baseball, hop scotch, jump the rope and all sports on the square . There was rows of trees that was the east and south boundaries. There was a little bit of grass along those sides. There was no bowl and grass like there is today.
    Duane remembers Garth Olson was the principal and also taught 6th grade. Those were the days when they did double duty, principal and teach.
    In the school, the lunch room was in the basement next to the furnace room. Any programs or assemblies were held in the center of the school where there is 4 stair cases. The mighty 6th graders would get to set on chairs in the hall way and the kindergarten kids sat on the floor and the other grades would set on the stairs to watch the programs. FUN.
 


  Now the Taylor School was really neat. (As I remember it). We had a grassy play area, besides we could go across the street and play on the old Hospital lawn (which is now the City Center). We had a nice baseball diamond to the west of the school and I remember when I was in the sixth grade challenging the Peteetneet sixth grade girls to a baseball game. I don t remember who won but it was fun. I played first base and Jeri Taylor (Brimhall) played pitch, and I can’t remember who else but we had a good team. I do remember Sharon Elmer (Lindley), Linda Peery (Spencer), Ann Staheli and a few others that were on Peteetneet’s team and they were also good.
We also ate lunch in the basement of the building. I think we paid either 10 or 15 cents for our lunch and I loved hot lunch. And when we got to the sixth grade we got to take turns helping in the kitchen.
    We had a lot of good times at that school and of course this was all before they added on in 1949 and then tore it down a few years ago to make the new Taylor Elementary School.
Some of the teachers we had then were, Mr. Wall, Mrs. Jeppson, Mrs. Hill, Mr. Davis, Mrs. McCellan, Mrs. Cloward, and Martha Tanner substituted at both schools.
    Peteetneet had Mr. Olson, Miss. Loveless Mrs. Spackman (later Warner). That's the ones we remember.
    It feels like just yesterday we were there but now we have great grandkids who went  there but it is so fun to remember when...

No comments:

Post a Comment