Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Remember When From the Past-January 29, 2009




Kenna Holm:
8 years ago when the Nebo Reporter paper was in town, I was asked to be the editor.  As I took the reins of the paper, my thoughts were to have a "feel good" paper.  I didn't want all the negative things that we got on TV and in the other papers.  I then decided to write a column of my own.  One about Payson when I was growing up a long time ago.  The column, "Remember When..."  went over so well with all of the cities that it was a thrill to me. Then in 2010 The Daily Hearld decided to close all of the South County papers.  There was a lot of disappointed people including me. 
I just lost my husband along with a granddaughter recently and have been in a depressed mood.  My daughters suggested I start a facebook page and start writing my Remember When stories again.  As I was talking to Dee Stevenson,President of the Payson Historical Society, and  I was telling him of my idea and he was so thrilled about it, he suggested putting it in the Payson Historical blog so here goes another shot at my "Remember When..."  Hope everyone enjoys it.  I would love your feed back on it.
 We will be including many of the old columns and hopefully some new ones.
Remember When From the Past
Thursday, January 29, 2009 
Kenna Holm
American Legion Hall
    Wednesday evening, I had the privilege of attending a banquet in Spanish Fork put on by the Chamber of Commerce. At that meeting,  they honored  the  South County American Legion. I was so impressed with the services they provide, I decided I'd like to write about them this week.
I don't know  how  many remember  the American Legion Hall that was on 100 South and between Main and 100 West. It is now a parking lot. But at one time, there was the American Legion Hal land Wilson Feed Shop in that area.
     To go back to the beginning, the American Legion was chartered her in Payson in 1920. Dr. LD Stewart was the first commander. They were Post #48.
 

    In 1950, they built the American Legion Hall. At that time Bill Snyder was the Commander. The members of the American Legion were are all veterans of one of the branches of service.
In the , . A383rd Infantry Regiment, 96 Division Army Reserve was located in the American Legion Hall. They were there until 1963 when they were moved to Dale Rex Hall in Provo. During the time they were in Payson, the government leased the building and the area north of the building that was adjacent to Wilson Feed Store. The lease provided for use of the kitchen and  central hall during scheduled drills and activities.  The building maintenance and upkeep was provided by the Legion under their terms of the lease.
     The building was used for other activities also. I remember going there for teen dances. We could play ping-pong or other games and of course dance. They had soft drinks and goodies we could buy. I always remember how fun Andy Andress was with all us kids.
     Remember when they gave the polio vaccine to all the studentst here at the American Legion Hall. People visited the Hall and received a sugar cube with the polio serum on it.
     In 1959, the American Legion installed a flagpole at the cemetery . There was a great gentleman by the name of Ross Dowdle  who made it a  practice to pick up the neighborhood children and haul them to the cemetery in the back of his old truck thatt he called “The Shrimp Boat.”   He taught those children to stand at attention as he raised the flag in the morning and lowered it in the evening. He was a great guy. He was like the Pied Piper with kids. They loved him. He died in March 1970 and the American Legion erected a flagpole in his honor at the old hospital which is now the City Center. Dowdle had served as commander and as chaplain of the American Legion for many years.
 
    The  good  these  wonderful men do is beyond description. I think the first time I ever actually saw them at a grave site was for my father in law who had served his country. The Legion men lined up and gave there gun salute and then played  taps with the  echo taps on the  other  side  of the cemetery. It still gives me cold chills to think about it. These men go to all the grave sites of former servicemen and provide this service for the funerals.
 
    The men from Springville, Spanish Fork, and Payson all responded. Usually there are from 25 to 30 men who go in full uniform to these funerals. In 2008 alone, they went to 97 funerals. That's a lot ofservice.  Already this month, they have gone to 11.  The men meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month  at the City Center  for  their  meetings. Their commander now is Gary Herbert with Robert Measom  as 1st Vice and Terrill King as Adjutant and Doug Holt as Chaplain.
The wives of these men also have an auxiliary and support the men in what they do.  I was so glad to see them get the Community Action Award at the Spanish Fork Chamber of Commerce Banquet. They deserve a big Thank You for what they do.
It's fun to go back and think about the old American Legion Building, Ross Dowdle and all the guys that have been in the American Legion. It's just plain fun to remember when....

No comments:

Post a Comment