The first building of considerable size that was constructed in pioneer Payson was the Union Hall. Five local citizens undertook to build a dance and theater hall shortly after 1859. It is the large building just north of the William Douglass Store on North Main. The main amusement at the new hall was dancing. Those attending the dances brought food to be enjoyed during the evening. Tickets were usually paid in produce or some form of fresh or dried meats.
A Dramatic Association was formed and used the building for many years. The building was demolished sometime prior to 1902 what the Snyder Motor Building was constructed on the site.